Training for parents and carers
At SLT for Kids we believe parents and carers are the experts when it comes to their children. Parents and carers have many opportunities to interact with children throughout the day during everyday activities and situations such as mealtimes or travelling to and from school. It is during these times and the conversations children have with those around them that children learn to communicate.
Parents and carers are vital to speech and language therapy as they spend the most amount of time with their children and therefore become teachers to their children. They have the opportunity to promote and develop speech, language and communication skills through interaction in meaningful everyday activities.
Here at SLT for Kids we believe parents are already doing great things to help promote their children’s speech, language and communication, parents know their child best. We provide training for parents to help them increase their knowledge base around speech, language and communication development as well as provide them with more great strategies and activities to promote speech, language and communication skills.
Benefits of speech and language therapy training for parents and carers
SLT for Kids provide high quality training to parents and carers across the country. Many parents and carers who attend the training find the training useful and interactive.
SLT for Kids training provides the following benefits:
- Parents and carers are able to understand their children's difficulties further.
- Parents and carers understand the importance of speech and language therapy.
- Parents and carers are able to take an active role in therapy.
- Parents and carers are able adjust their communication styles to suit the needs of their children.
- Parents and carers have a range of strategies and activities they can use in everyday situations to promote children's speech language and communication skills.
SLT for Kids provide a range of training to parents, please contact us to find out more about the range of training topics we offer.
What is included in our parent training?
Our parental and carer training consists of the following features:
- Certificate of completion and learning pack.
- Hands on activities - parents are encouraged to take part in activities to develop their understanding of what it is like to experience speech and language difficulties and how speech and language therapy can help develop skills further.
- Questions - we encourage all parents to ask questions throughout the training session as well as allowing a dedicated period where the speech and language therapist will answer any questions parents may have. Our speech and language therapist will try to keep all terminology non-clinical to aid understanding and make the training accessible to all.